Migrating earlier versions of nopCommerce to 4.0
nopCommerce 4.0 is built on the popular ASP.Net Core 2.0, which makes it leaner and offers the best possible experience to users due to its high-performance, cross-platform, open-source framework. The redesigned version of ASP.Net has a modular framework and offers many advantages, due to which several extendable web applications such as nopCommerce are migrating to it.
Before we discuss the various steps involved in migrating earlier versions of nopCommerce to nopCommerce 4.0, let’s touch upon some of the improvements that the new version comes with:
• nopCommerce 4.0 has been developed with efforts that focused on improving its performance and architecture, bring in further enhancements and fixing bugs.
• The improvements include provision for store owners to upload plugins and themes instead of putting them manually into the “\Plugins” or “\Themes” directory using FTP.
• It has better UI/UX in admin area, includes Google analytics plugin, can reverse an ecommerce transaction and many more such features for better user-experience.
• Several bugs and localization errors were fixed
For a complete list of all the changes made, click here.
Steps for Upgrading to nopCommerce 4.0
While upgrading your nopCommerce from 3.9 or earlier versions to nopCommerce 4.0, you can follow the below steps (assuming you will be using nopCommerce 4.0 package without source code).
Here are the general steps to upgrade:
1. Backup your existing database
2. Execute upgrade.sql script over your database. If you are upgrading from nopCommerce version older than 3.9, you need to run upgrade scripts for each version starting from the lower version to higher version.
3. Remove all files from the previous version of application files except App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt
4. Upload new site files
5. Copy back App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files
6. Ensure that everything is OK
7. If you stored your pictures on the file system, then backup them too (\Content\Images\) and copy back after upgrade.
After following above steps, if you run the application ‘App_Data\Settings.txt’ and ‘App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt’, the files are automatically converted to ‘App_Data\dataSettings.json’ and ‘App_Data\installedPlugins.json’ files.
If you are using any third-party plugins, then make sure plugins are compatible for nopCommerce 4.0 before doing the migration.
If third party plugins are compatible with nopCommerce 4.0, then follow the upgrade steps provided by the vendor which will be like the steps followed for upgrading nopCommerce version that include executing a few SQL scripts and replacing the package files.
If you have used any plugins which are developed by your team then you should upgrade your plugin to make it compatible for nopCommerce 4.0 and then follow the steps mentioned in the Plugins section here.
We hope you found this article useful to get about upgrading your nopCommerce to the latest version, and enjoy the several improvements made in the software.
For any queries on migration to nopCommerce 4.0, you can contact us at Gaja Digital.
Manjunath Govindappa | ASP.NET Technical Lead
Shwetha Bhat | Blogger